- Case worker encourager – commit to pray for, send messages to, and take goodies to a case worker in Arkansas or Texas in order to encourage them. This position requires around 3 hours a month and can be done whenever you are available. You will be required to fill out a documentation form and email or mail it to the office manager once a month. We ask you to make a year-long commitment, but you are welcome to do more!
- Organize donations in Blessing Boutique – We do this at our office every Friday from 9:30 am-1:30 pm. You would be responsible for sorting clothing donations by size, gender and season and putting them in their correct location in the Blessing Boutique. Email firstname.lastname@example.org when you are planning on coming.
- Parents’ Night Out – This requires a background check to be on file. Every month, we watch foster children for 3 hours on a Friday night. This gives foster parents a break and allows them time to refuel. You would be responsible for caring for children between the ages of 0-15, feeding them, cleaning the room after them, and treating their parents with respect.
- Mentor Biological parents – We partner with churches in the Texarkana area that provide 6 week- long parenting classes. The church commits to providing transportation, childcare, a meal and mentors for the biological parents. So many times, the biological parents make bad parenting choices because they do not have a support system or are victims of themselves being raised in foster care. We aim to help families heal because God did not create families to be broken. We also offer bio parent support groups once a month that are led by a local counselor. We invite volunteers who would like to attend these meetings and connect with the bio parents as a mentor.
- Support current foster families – Foster families need support on an ongoing basis. We are recruiting non foster families who will commit to bringing meals, helping when a new child comes into the home and praying for the foster family. If you are interested, please let us know and we will email you a spreadsheet of all the foster families that have signed up for this service.
- Prayer Warriors- Prayer is a huge need! You can sign up with us to get prayer request texts and/or to attend court and pray for the families in court. Sign up here.
- Become a foster parent – There are only around 30 foster families for the 198 children currently in care in Miller, Bowie and Cass counties. Please ask if you want more information about this.
- Input School supply lists – We recruit volunteers to shop for school supplies for foster and kinship families in the Texarkana area. The case workers give us the child’s name, grade, school and gender and we make a sheet with the exact school supply list for each child. This would be in June and July. Must be comfortable with a computer and able to edit a google doc.
- Church Liaison – For our school supplies and Christmas presents, we recruit people via Facebook and local churches to shop for foster and kinship children in our area. The Church Liaison would commit to setting up a table in the foyer of their church to recruit members who would shop for the children. They would receive everything they need from the director, would collect supplies and return them to the FSO office to be given out to the case workers. They would be needed in the months of June, July, August, October, November and December.
The church liaison would also be responsible for hosting a Foster Parent support group once a year.
This would be on a Saturday from 6:00-8:00 PM. You would be responsible for coordinating a meal for
the foster parents and their children and providing childcare for children 0-15.
- Christmas party – Every year, we have a Christmas party for our foster and kinship families. We need volunteers to make food, serve food, watch kids (taking pictures with Santa, in a bounce house, playing bingo, and doing a craft), help with decorations and clean up, and give out presents to guardians. Our party is tentatively scheduled for December 11 from 12-2 pm.
- Gardening – During the spring and summer months, we need people who are willing to pull weeds and trim our bushes. This could be done at your convenience but should be coordinated with the director.
Contact: Alyssa Beach, Office Manager/Volunteer Coordinator
text or call 903-329-0566